Friday 2 October 2009

The I Ching and I

Happy birthday to Confucius for earlier in the week.

Which brings me nicely on to the I Ching, which Carl Jung, another good friend of mine was very into. (You may recall I visited his tower on Lake Zurich with Lovely Swiss Matt)

A dear friend and I consulted the I Ching recently, and as oracles go, I was rather impressed. I think it was far better than the one on the M4 near Legoland.

The I Ching is a Chinese Oracle, for those that don’t know. It is famously never wrong. Although it isn’t afraid to be vague. I once consulted it about a website I was working on and it said “the man walks as though the flesh is stripped from his buttocks” which proved pretty accurate. Strangely I can’t find this passage anywhere now, so it must have been magicked up to describe how screwed we were.

Anyway, the I Ching is not prescriptive, the idea is that it gives you ideas to meditate on. For example I did not ask it whether I should have bought these Jimmy Choos or that leopard print dress in Hobbs, cause I know the answer to those questions and no ancient wisdom is going to stop me looking like an exquisitely groomed hooker.

You should never consult the I Ching frivolously, or so says my friend S, presumably if you do, it comes up with something facetious and bummy.

So as a life experiment, I am going to obey the I Ching religiously for 1 month. This will be like the Dice Man but instead of pooing in a plant pot, I shall be drawing a wagon full of devils, or losing the little boy in clinging to the strong man. Or furthering myself by crossing the great water.

Hopefully I wont be walking as though the flesh has been stripped from my buttocks. Unless the Choos really hurt!