Thursday 26 August 2010

Northampton – most hilarious town in the UK?

OK I’m not certain what happened to me tonight on my way back from Subway, but I think I might, just might, have been served.

Here’s what happened. I was strolling along minding my own business when a disenfranchised yoof came right up to me, like right up, did a twisty dance and made up a rap about central Northampton. I can’t remember it exactly, but it went something along the lines of “Late night shopping, high street pop-in,” then something about stoppin’. Meanwhile his friend hung back sort of bobbing up and down to imaginary music.

Once he’d finished his (c )rap, the first yoof did a sort of challenging gesture that involved opening out his arms, but still managing to look like he was too hip to put much effort into the movement (net result – orangutan). I presume this was a challenge to me to come back with a rap of my own and presumably a dance too. At this point my facial expression changed from surprise to absolute glee, and I folded in half at the waist saying “hhhhaaaaaaaaa!”. Clearly this was not the response he expected cause yoofs 1&2 stalked off contemptuously leaving me laughing my head off! The very idea! I’m a thirty-something professional in a suit. I don’t rap at strangers! I hope I hope I hope I see them again. I’m going to write my own rap, and it is going to go along the lines of:

“Oxbridge Reject,
Managing Projects,
Working at the City Hall, aiiiiiiieee”

I must be old. No one told me young people became hilarious when you grew up.

Anyway, by the time I arrived at my Travelodge I was beaming from ear to ear. As a result when I asked the spector behind the desk for an extra towel (with the intention of stealing it and taking it to the gym) she asked me if I was enjoying my stay. I just grinned and said “very much”. Well I wasn’t going to lean across the counter, grab her by the elbows and scream “Get me out! My soul! My beautiful sooouuuul!”

Northampton rules!