Wednesday 11 August 2010

Travel lodgeing

Hello and welcome to my first blog about living in a travel inn. For those that don’t already know, I’m working on a contract in Northampton which involves living away from all that is dear to me during the week. In a travel inn.

Last week was the Premier Inn. Those that have seen the adverts might well assume that you can get rooms “from £29” the key word here is “from”, meaning “nothing like”. I think Lenny Henry has booked up all the £29 rooms and broken the beds by jumping on them. Breakfast is extra and £5 will buy you the “continental”, or in other words, the world’s most expensive croissant. Pah I say to that, especially when I can make a boiled egg in the kettle for next to nothing!

However, now I realised that the Premier Inn is a bit of a fancy pants travel inn as this week I’m living in a Travel Lodge on the A45. The in-room leaflet informs me of the Travel Lodge’s motto “Everything you need and nothing you don’t”. I’m assuming that the CEO of Travel Lodge considers the will to live to be non essential. To say the room is basic is something of an understatement. To say it is basic according to 1970s standards is a little nearer the mark.

More tomorrow